A career counselor can help you make smart decisions about your job search plan.
How Will You Benefit?
Career counselors work with job seekers at all levels. They can help you determine your strengths. This will maximize your success in the job market. Counselors often use skills and interest assessments to help you make career choices. They can offer practical guidance and advice on many topics. These may include skills, training, developing resumes, or writing job search correspondence like cover letters or thank you notes.
What Career Counselors Offer
- Any job loss transition.
- Defining career goals and using career assessments.
- Education, training, and skills evaluation.
- Labor market information such as wages and employment trends.
- Job search strategies for researching, applying, interviewing, and following up.
- Networking, job clubs, job fairs, and workshops.
Where to Find a Career Counselor
- Minnesota WorkForce Centers.
- College Career Centers. See Minnesota schools to find contact information.
- Community centers or faith-based job seeker groups.
- Online "yellow pages", like Dex Knows (search under "career counseling").