Step 6: Manage Your Career: MyMnCareerPlan
Your future is up to you. You can manage your career — and your life! You have the power to do well in whatever career path and education option you choose.
Career management involves a can-do attitude and a sense of self-responsibility. The steps of the MyMnCareerPlan and the self-management resources below can help you identify what works for you. Then, take action.
Manage Your Personal and Work Life
Your teachers, coaches, parents, friends, and others in your world provide experiences and lessons for you to be ready for postsecondary options and careers.
Here are some of those important personal skills that will benefit you throughout your life.
- The ability to collaborate and be a strong team member.
- Identify your skills and rate them according to your team and collaboration skills.
- The ability to deal with adversity and set-backs.
- Look at the Hurdles exercise and experiment with a hurdle and some solutions.
- Succeed at work and demonstrate good work habits.
View videos of how others manage their personal and work lives.
Gain Soft Skills
Soft skills are a set of skills and behaviors that are necessary for every job & and for everyday success. These skills are sometimes called employability skills, foundational skills, work-readiness skills, or job-readiness skills. They include:
- Systems Teamwork
- Career Development
- Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
- Information Technology Application
- Legal Responsibilities
- Safety, Health and Environment
- Social Studies
- Personal Finance
Manage Your School Work
As you know, there are lots of personal skills related to being successful in school. Your school probably has resources to help you with any of these skills. Here are some other resources to help you if you get stuck.
Manage Your Finances
For most people, education costs can be shocking. Start now to think about how you will manage your budget.
- Take a reality check about how much things really cost.
- Make a budget and track what you buy for a month to see if you are on target. If not, think about what you really need and how much money you can bring in.
Manage Your Goals and Future
How will you stick to your goals? Every now and then look at your goals and update them.
Manage Your Online Presence
Use social media wisely! You are not the only one using it. Colleges and employers WILL look you up. Make sure your online image represents you in positive ways. Many colleges and employers are looking for online portfolios such as LinkedIn. Ask your school for more information about them or build your own.
- Manage your personal and work life by reviewing the important skills listed above.
- Review study skills and pick one that you can work on. Consider putting this in your goals.
- Take the reality check.
- Make a budget and track your spending.
- Check out your online image.