On the Job
Insurance Underwriters review people's applications to decide how risky it would be to provide them with insurance. With this information, they make decisions about whether or not to provide insurance.
Typical Work Tasks
People who work in this career often:
- Authorize financial actions.
- Analyze health-related data.
- Assess risks to business operations.
- Verify accuracy of records.
- Explain regulations, policies, or procedures.
- Assess financial status of clients.
Typical Working Conditions
- Using e-mail.
- Working indoors in environmentally controlled conditions.
- Meeting strict deadlines.
- Frequent decision-making.
- The importance of being accurate or exact.
- Working with a group or team.
- Being in situations in which conflicts arise.
This page includes information from the O*NET 24.2 Database by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under the CC BY 4.0 license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.
Source: You can learn about our data sources in the About Us section.