On the Job
Tax Preparers prepare tax returns for individuals or companies. (This career does not include accountants.)
Typical Work Tasks
People who work in this career often:
- Interview clients to gather financial information.
- Update professional knowledge.
- Verify accuracy of records.
- Correspond with customers to answer questions or resolve complaints.
- Examine financial records.
- Explain regulations, policies, or procedures.
- Advise others on financial matters.
- Develop financial plans for clients.
- Calculate tax information.
Typical Working Conditions
- Having telephone conversations.
- The importance of being accurate or exact.
- Working indoors in environmentally controlled conditions.
- Frequent decision-making.
- Dealing with external customers.
- Meeting strict deadlines.
This page includes information from the O*NET 24.2 Database by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under the CC BY 4.0 license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.
Source: You can learn about our data sources in the About Us section.