On the Job
Actuaries analyze statistical data to forecast the likelihood of risk for accidents, sickness, disability, or death for people applying for insurance. They may determine the cost of insurance for individuals based on this information.
This career requires good eyesight.
Typical Work Tasks
People who work in this career often:
- Analyze data to identify trends or relationships among variables.
- Analyze health-related data.
- Collaborate with others to develop or implement marketing strategies.
- Develop organizational goals or objectives.
- Provide customer service to clients or users.
- Manage financial activities of the organization.
- Negotiate contracts with clients or service providers.
Typical Working Conditions
- Using e-mail.
- Working indoors in environmentally controlled conditions.
- The importance of being accurate or exact.
- Making decisions that impact co-workers or company results.
- Working with a group or team.
- Meeting strict deadlines.
- High levels of competition.
This page includes information from the O*NET 24.2 Database by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under the CC BY 4.0 license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.
Source: You can learn about our data sources in the About Us section.