On the Job
Travel Agents sell tickets for air travel, hotels, and entertainment events to individuals or groups who are planning trips. They help plan transportation, travel dates, and packages. They may sell tour packages.
Typical Work Tasks
People who work in this career often:
- Gather customer or product information to determine customer needs.
- Distribute promotional literature or samples to customers.
- Prepare sales or other contracts.
- Process sales or other transactions.
- Record operational details of travel.
- Sell products or services.
- Calculate costs of goods or services.
Typical Working Conditions
- Having telephone conversations.
- The importance of being accurate or exact.
- Dealing with external customers.
- Freedom to make decisions without supervision.
- High levels of competition.
- Meeting strict deadlines.
This page includes information from the O*NET 24.2 Database by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under the CC BY 4.0 license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.
Source: You can learn about our data sources in the About Us section.