Real Estate Agents
On the Job
Real Estate Agents help clients buy, sell, or rent property. They advise their clients on sales prices, mortgages, and market conditions. They also show properties to prospective buyers.
Typical Work Tasks
People who work in this career often:
- Negotiate prices or other sales terms.
- Develop professional relationships or networks.
- Contact current or potential customers to promote products or services.
- Contract real estate to clients.
- Deliver promotional presentations to current or prospective customers.
- Gather customer or product information to determine customer needs.
- Obtain property information.
- Attend events to develop professional knowledge.
- Schedule appointments with prospective customers.
- Develop content for sales presentations or other materials.
Typical Working Conditions
- Using e-mail.
- High levels of competition.
- The freedom to determine tasks, priorities, and goals.
- Freedom to make decisions without supervision.
- Meeting strict deadlines.
- Working in a closed vehicle or equipment.
- Dealing with external customers.
This page includes information from the O*NET 24.2 Database by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under the CC BY 4.0 license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.
Source: You can learn about our data sources in the About Us section.