Step 1: Assess Yourself: MyMnCareerPlan
Choosing a major or career requires that you understand yourself. You should know how your interests, skills, and values match potential career pathways and education options.
Career assessments help you learn about yourself. These tools will not tell you what to do. They will help you explore options and decide for yourself. In fact, as a student it is OK to find several majors and career pathways that fit you. As you get more experience through education and the work world, you'll know more what fits you.
Before you choose a career or major, it is helpful to find career options that match your interests and aspirations. Picking the right career path for you increases your chances of future happiness, and advancement and success in school and work.
- Take our Career Cluster Interest Survey. You'll get groups of similar careers that match your interests. From there, you can look at individual careers.
- Take the GetMyFuture Interest Assessment. You'll be able to see your Interest Profile and a list of related careers.
- Go to your MyMnCareerPlan Workbook (405KB, .pdf) and write the names of five careers that match your interests. You will use these when you explore careers.
Skills and Aptitudes
Future employers will hire you based on your skills and aptitudes, including your knowledge, and your transferable and personal skills. Skills are something you can do based on training or experience. Aptitudes are natural talents that you have. Thinking about these skills and aptitudes will help you make choices related to careers and majors that are related to them.
- Try CareerOneStop's Skills Profiler. Use the option Start with your skills. You'll be able to compare your skills to occupations.
- Go to your MyMnCareerPlan Workbook and write the names of five careers that match your skills. You will use these when you explore careers.
It is important to choose a major and career that meets most of your work values. You're more likely to enjoy your job. You will also be more motivated to succeed.
- Use the GetMyFuture Work Values Matcher to find which work values are most important to you. Record the results in your MyMnCareerPlan Workbook.
- Next, select the "Learn More" links for your top work values to find careers that match your work values. Go back to your MyMnCareerPlan Workbook and write down the names of five careers that match your work values. You will use these when you explore careers.
Putting it Together: Your Career and Education Plan
Look at the careers you listed from your interest, skills, and values results. Which ones show up in two or three of your assessment results? Any other aspirations or careers you'd like to explore?
- Go to your MyMnCareerPlan Workbook and write down five to 10 careers that were on more than one of your assessments.
- Take the online Interest Survey and look at career clusters that match your interests. Write them down in your MyMnCareerPlan Workbook.
- Take the online Skills Assessment and look at careers that match your skills. Write them down in your MyMnCareerPlan Workbook.
- Take the Work Values Assessment in your MyMnCareerPlan Workbook. Look at careers that match your work values. Write them down in your MyMnCareerPlan Workbook.
- Record the careers together that match your assessment results in your MyMnCareerPlan Workbook.
- Take the Learning Styles Inventory and write down the results in your MyMnCareerPlan Workbook.
- Review your top skills, interests, work values, and learning styles and record them on the Matrix part of your MyMnCareerPlan Workbook.
- Next, explore careers.