Why Skills Are Important
Learn how to gain or improve your skills at any time in your career.
Then use the resources below to think about the skills you have gained from other experiences and how you can build new skills. Most of your skills can transfer to new opportunities.
Why Should You Get Job Skills?
- You'll be seen more positively by employers. They prefer applicants who are willing to learn new skills.
- You'll feel more confident during interviews.
- Your resumes, cover letters, and job applications will be stronger.
Ways to Expand and Identify Your Skills
Job Seekers can attend CareerForce Center workshops and other job search events.
People with felony convictions and other criminal charges, can use Career Planning for People with a Criminal Conviction to identify skills, or find training.
Adult Basic Education students and those with limited language skills can search MyMnCareers to get training and advance in a career.
- Gain or improve skills with practice or short-term training.
- Look into state-approved apprenticeship programs to gain skills and earn a salary.
- Contact a local public library about free classes. Many offer basic computer training and job skill classes.
- Review Occupational Skills and Employability Skills for more ways to expand your skills.
It's important to continually assess your skills, at all phases of your career.
Resources to Help
- Find a GED or adult literacy program in Minnesota.
- Network to find out about job leads or job shadowing.
- Update your career goals to include focusing on new skills.