1. Skip to content

Paying for College

Think college is too expensive for you? Don't rule it out just because of costs. Financial aid is available for most students.

Going to college is an investment in your future. It's also a way to get the skills and education you need for a good career.

The cost of attendance, which includes tuition, fees, room and board, and other expenses, depends on the type of school you attend. Although college costs are increasing, financial aid is available for many who need it.

Minnesota has a wide range of affordable public and private institutions. The table below demonstrates the average tuition and fees at Minnesota institutions for the 2010-2011 school year. These figures do not include room and board, books, supplies, or other expenses. Typically, these expenses add up to about $10,000 each year.

Average Tuition & Fees in Minnesota
Private Colleges and Universities* $30,411
Private Career Colleges* $13,184
University of Minnesota* $12,288
State Universities** $6,895
Technical and Community Colleges** $4,919
*2010-2011 average tuition and fees in Minnesota. Tuition and fees vary slightly among individual schools. The tuition and fees listed for the University of Minnesota is for the Twin Cities, College of Liberal Arts campus; it excludes fees charged by individual colleges. The tuition and fee figures listed for private colleges and private career colleges are averages.

** 2011-2012 average tuition and fees for Minnesota State colleges and University system schools listed here are subject to change.

To see current tuition and fees for individual colleges, go to Minnesota Office of Higher Education.

Most schools expect you to pay a share of your education costs. The cost to attend usually includes tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, transportation and personal expenses. Your financial need is the difference between this total cost at a particular school and the amount you can reasonably contribute.

Most students receive a financial aid package that includes at least one of the three types of aid: grants and scholarships, loans, or work study.

Next Steps: