1. Skip to content

Transition to Civilian Life for Veterans

Returning to civilian life after military service is different for every person. Luckily, there are resources available to help you make the transition.

Getting Help with Your Transition — Best Places to Start

Minnesota Veteran
Connects Minnesota veterans to county veteran service officers (CVSO). They can help you navigate the transition process.

Veterans Services, Minnesota Department of Employment & Economic Development
Provides a guide to programs assisting Minnesota veterans with transition, employment, and business ownership. It has links to local veterans employment representatives and disabled veterans outreach program representatives.

Beyond the Yellow Ribbon, Minnesota National Guard
Connects service members and their families with community support, training, services, and resources.

Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
Serves Minnesota veterans, their dependents, and survivors. It provides information about local veterans centers, regional offices, and medical centers.

Employment Support for Veterans and Guard/Reserve Members

Veterans Employment Representatives
Veterans employment representatives work one-on-one with veterans who have significant challenges finding or keeping a job or who have a service-connected disability. Veterans can also receive priority service at a Minnesota Workforce Center.

Employer Support for the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
Promotes cooperation and understanding between Reserve component members and their civilian employers.

Transition Support for Special Needs Audiences

Disabled Veterans
Lists programs and services that help veterans and service members with service-related disabilities.

People with Disabilities
Provides a wide collection of resources, services, and valuable links for those with disabilities.

Women Veterans
Links to resources for female veterans, including the VA's Center for Women Veterans.

Help with Benefits, Health Issues, and Relocation

Provide easy, online access to government benefit and assistance programs.

Veterans ON-line APPlication (VONAPP)
Allows veterans to apply for compensation, pension, vocational rehabilitation, and education benefits.

Benefits and Assistance
Government and local assistance programs that provide health care, housing, family support, financial counseling, and other services.

Obtaining Military and Civilian Records

National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
Obtain official copies of your military papers. This may include your separation or discharge papers (DD Form 214) or medical records.

U.S. Department of Defense
Obtain Verification of Military Experience and Training (VMET; DD-2586) records. This will help you prepare a resume or fill out applications for college or civilian vocational training.