On the Job
Mathematical Technicians apply mathematical formulas and principles to solve technological problems. They typically work in engineering and the physical sciences.
Typical Work Tasks
People who work in this career often:
- Apply mathematical principles or statistical approaches to solve problems in scientific or applied fields.
- Prepare data for analysis.
- Develop diagrams or flow charts of system operation.
- Develop scientific or mathematical models.
- Coordinate project activities with other personnel or departments.
Typical Working Conditions
- Working indoors in environmentally controlled conditions.
- The importance of being accurate or exact.
This page includes information from the O*NET 24.2 Database by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under the CC BY 4.0 license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.
Source: You can learn about our data sources in the About Us section.