College English Language Teachers
On the Job
College English Teachers teach courses pertaining to English language and literature, including linguistics, American or British literature, children's literature, or special topics. They may also do research.
Typical Work Tasks
People who work in this career often:
- Guide class discussions.
- Teach classes in area of specialization.
- Teach humanities courses at the college level.
- Teach online courses.
- Train staff members.
- Tutor students who need extra assistance.
- Develop instructional objectives.
- Edit documents.
- Edit written materials.
- Select educational materials or equipment.
Typical Working Conditions
- Using e-mail.
- The freedom to determine tasks, priorities, and goals.
- Working indoors in environmentally controlled conditions.
- Freedom to make decisions without supervision.
- Coordinating or leading others.
- Meeting strict deadlines.
This page includes information from the O*NET 24.2 Database by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under the CC BY 4.0 license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.
Source: You can learn about our data sources in the About Us section.