On the Job
Dredge Operators operate dredge to remove sand, gravel, or other materials in waterways.
Typical Work Tasks
People who work in this career often:
- Control pumps or pumping equipment.
- Operate cranes, hoists, or other moving or lifting equipment.
- Operate excavation equipment.
- Direct material handling or moving activities.
Typical Working Conditions
- Wearing common protective or safety equipment such as safety shoes, glasses, gloves, hearing protection, hard hats, or life jackets.
- Having face-to-face discussions.
- Using your hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Working outdoors exposed to weather.
- Exposure to sounds or noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable.
- Frequent decision-making.
- Exposure to hazardous equipment.
- Working with a group or team.
This page includes information from the O*NET 24.2 Database by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under the CC BY 4.0 license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.
Source: You can learn about our data sources in the About Us section.