1. Skip to content

Minnesota Job Vacancy Key Findings

Job vacancies are current positions that employers want to fill. These are a measure of the demand for workers.

Knowing about job vacancies can help you target your job search.

How Many Job Vacancies Are There?

According to the most recent Minnesota Job Vacancy Survey (April—June 2021):

  • During the second quarter (April-June) 2021, employers reported a total of 205,174 vacancies, up 84% percent from second quarter 2020 and a 40% increase compared to second quarter 2019.
  • Regionally, 119,505 or 58.1% of all job vacancies were in the seven-county Twin Cities metro area, while the remaining 86,209 vacancies, or 41.9%, were in Greater Minnesota during the second quarter of 2021. Compared to one year ago, job vacancies increased by 81.4% in the Twin Cities and climbed 87.9% in Greater Minnesota. For more information about job vacancies in a specific economic development region, click on the “change area” button in the data tool
  • The Twin Cities’ job vacancy rate was 7.6%, and Greater Minnesota’s was 8.6%. Like the state overall, both the Twin Cities and Greater Minnesota have a ratio of less than one unemployed person to every one job vacancy: both also had 0.6 unemployed persons for each vacancy.

Where is the Greatest Need for Workers?

View the top 30 jobs with the most vacancies. Each link provides more information on occupation descriptions, average wages, education requirements, and more.

What Kind of Education and Experience Do New Jobs Require?

  • Thirty-two percent of reported job vacancies require post-secondary education, a vocational degree or certificate, a two-year degree, a bachelor's degree, or an advanced degree. The remaining jobs require a high school diploma or less.
  • Fifty percent of jobs call for one or more years of experience.
  • As education and experience requirements increase, so do the wage rates offered, on average.
  • View Job Vacancy Survey by Occupation to find education and experience requirements for each occupation.

What Will Future Demand Be Like?

Job vacancies reflect current market conditions, not future prospects of an occupation. To find out whether the job you are searching or training for will still be in demand over the next 10 years, visit Growing Careers.

Source: Minnesota Job Vacancy Survey, Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development.




x

CAREERwise Newsletter

Sign up to receive email updates from CAREERwise.