Ways to Gain Skills
Going to school is not the only way to gain skills. See how you can gain skills now.
Sometimes people looking for a job may not be able to go to school at the same time. If this is you, you can still get job skills. Think about what skills you have (or don't have) on the list of common transferable skills. Which skills you can work on now?
Why Should You Get Job Skills?
- You'll be seen more positively by employers. They tend to like applicants who continually learn new skills.
- You'll feel more confident during interviews.
- Your resumes, cover letters, and job applications will be stronger.
Ways to Expand Your Skills
- Explore the Find a Job section. You'll learn about what makes job seekers successful.
- Go to your library and read books about your career field.
- Volunteer in your field.
- Ask to job shadow someone in a career that interests you.
- Ask your library about free or low-cost classes. They may know of computer or other job skill classes. Also look for classes at a local adult basic education (ABE) center.
- If you don't have a high school diploma, finish your GED.
Resources to Help