What Are Job Skills?
Everyone has strengths and skills. If you want a job that's a good fit for you, start by looking at your skills.
Skills are things that you can do or abilities that you have. Many job skills are:
- Learnable: You can get education or training that will teach you skills or improve the ones you already have.
- Transferable: Many things you do at one job can also be used at a different job.
It's important to think about the skills you have at different times in your career. Pay attention to when you've learned a new skill. And be aware of what strengths and skills you might be able to use in a different job.
Identify Your Job Skills
- Review a list of common work skills to get started.
- Review your soft skills that are often transferred from one job to another.
- Think about your strengths, skills, and all the things you know how to do.
- Think about a time when you did something you were proud of. What skills did you use to do that?
- Write down your skills and examples in a notebook or journal.